PDA

View Full Version : No 12VDC on RTV900 Electric System

MikeP
11-08-2015, 06:38 PM
I've had no problems with my RTV900 since buying it new in 2006. That is, not until the present one, described as follows:

My OEM battery began showing signs of weakness a few weeks ago when I had to put a charge on it in order to start the machine. Yesterday, it again would not start and I checked battery voltage and it was down to 10.5vdc. So, I saluted it, thanked it for 13 years of faithful service and replaced it with a new one.

I installed the replacement with a reading of 12.7vdc. When I tried starting the 900, the starter did not respond. I switched the headlights on, darkness. I pushed the horn button, silence. Wow.

I checked the battery cables and all look good. The ground is grounded and the positive is positive. I checked continuity on all the fuses, all OK. I tested for power to the fuses and there was none. Ah Ha!

I tested for power at the starter terminal where the battery connects,yes there was 12+VDC on that terminal. I tested for power at a little plastic connection on the starter that has a wire running to the electric system (to alternator, et al) and I see none at that little connection on the starter. Ah Ha!

My questions:

1. Should there be power at that little connection on the starter? I would assume so, since it seems to be the only electric connection for the battery to the rest of the system after the starter.

2. If "yes" for question 1, is the lack of power at that little connection likely the reason for my no-power condition to the rest of the system as described?

3. If "yes" for question 2, how can this be resolved? Can this little connector be replaced. If so, how? If not, what needs to be done?

Any other observations on what my problem might be are welcomed.

Thanks!